Learn the 5 common car noises and know what they mean. This will help you to prevent more expensive repairs down the road.
Your dashboard is filled with icons and alerts that can tell you when your vehicle needs attention. Some of these notifications are more serious than others, but it’s a good idea to know what they all mean.
But your dashboard isn’t the only way to tell if something is wrong. Sometimes you need to rely on your senses, which is why it’s also important to listen to the sounds your vehicle makes. Let this guide you to be familiar with the common car noises.
Have you noticed any clunking, grinding, or high-pitched squealing lately? Here’s what some of these odd car noises might mean.
- Squealing when you start the car. A high-pitched squealing noise that happens when you start your car could indicate a worn serpentine belt.
- Grinding when you break. A grinding car noises when you brake typically means that your car’s brakes need to be serviced or replaced.
- Humming when you accelerate. Humming car noises when you step on the gas could point to a wheel bearing issue. This kind of noise may also be related to the engine.
- Clicking when you turn. If you hear a clicking or maybe a popping noise when you make a turn, parts on your car’s front axle may need to be replaced.
- Clunking while you drive. When you hear the clunking car noises coming from underneath your car as you drive, it is time to check it out. This could be caused by a few different things: an issue with the suspension system, shock absorbers or the rods and pistons.
Ask Your Mechanic
These warning car noises may help you diagnose the problem, but this list is by no means comprehensive. If you hear something unusual, always ask a trusted mechanic as soon as possible. Ignoring a strange sound can mean more expensive repairs down the road.
Are you now familiar with various car noises and what they mean? Do you have questions about your auto coverage? Allow our insurance professionals to shop for the best rate on your auto insurance in Oregon.
HOW CAN ZOLEZZI INSURANCE AGENT HELP YOU?
ON THE PHONE OR IN PERSON – We gather information about your current insurance policies and current coverage needs.
COMPARE PERSONALIZED QUOTES – We collect quotes from various companies to allow you to shop for the best coverage at the best price.
OUTSTANDING SERVICE – We provide outstanding customer service on your business and personal insurance needs with staffing in 3 locations.