Renovations have some serious perks, such as creating more space or updating your amenities.
Some home renovations, such as a new roof or security system, can even reduce home insurance costs. However, others like a pool can have the opposite effect.
Before you take on your next home improvement projects, here’s what you should know about how home renovations that might change your premiums.
- Swimming Pool: Pools generally fall under “other structures” in your homeowners policy. However, you may need to purchase additional liability coverage to manage the increased risks. These come with owning a pool.
- Home Additions: Maximizing the livable square footage of your home by finishing the basement, adding another bedroom or enclosing your patio might raise your premiums. That’s because you may need to increase your insurance limits to account for the value these changes can add.
- Roof Renovation: When you get a new roof, your premiums may go down simply because your roof is new. Also, you may be eligible for a premium discount if you install an impact-resistant roof .They’re less likely to be damaged by high winds and hail.
- Security System: A home security system should decrease possible theft and damage losses from a break-in. The discount you may receive on your homeowners insurance premiums can help offset the new system’s cost.
- Plumbing and Electrical: Replacing old plumbing and electrical systems can make your home safer. It can also make you less likely to file a claim. As a result, your insurance premiums may go down slightly. Having a professional install a home generator that keeps your electricity on during an area-wide outage could also qualify you for a discount.
Are you curious about your home renovations if that could increase or decrease your premiums? Get in touch with questions or to talk a to Zolezzi Insurance Home Insurance Agent anytime.
How Can Zolezzi Insurance Agent Help You?
ON THE PHONE OR IN PERSON – We gather information about your current insurance policies and current coverage needs.
COMPARE PERSONALIZED QUOTES – We collect quotes from various companies to allow you to shop for the best coverage at the best price.
OUTSTANDING SERVICE – We provide outstanding customer service on your business and personal insurance needs with staffing in 3 locations.